Tuesday, March 20, 2012

GG Challenge Day 5: Chick Flick

As I revealed in my 7 random facts last week, I'm not really into movies. So todays Girly Girl Challenge - a mani inspired by your favourite chick flick - was, if possible, even harder than the runway one. But challenge is what I like.
Thinking back of the films I've really liked, only one seems to fit in this category: Some Like it Hot by Billy Wilder. I don't know if this counts as a chick flick, but at least it's got a lot of chicks :) And even males wanting to disguise themselves as chicks. I loved everything, from the black and white nostalgic atmosphere (which I tried to reconstruct on my nails) to displaying ladies independent and making music (which I chose to be the main tune for this mani).
The base I used was Esence Colour&Go Irreplaceable. It's irreplaceable at least in the sense that I don't own anything like that. It's a light nutria with loads of greenish gold shimmer, completely opaque in two coats.
 As I was going out and needed a simple and quick decorations until I had time to finish the mani, I stamped on the accent nails the piano keys from BM207 with Konad black special polish.
On the next day I moved on guided by the movie inspiration. I wanted to use softer contrasts, though, than in stamping and decided to look for charcoal and neutral colours rather than just black and white. I taped and painted strips on each nail with China Glaze Some Like it Haute (well, I HAD to include that...) and used Irreplaceable mixed with Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Peachy Keen for the film strip effect.
Using a nail art brush and a dotting tool I added some notes with Color Club Revvvolution. A coat of Color Club topcoat (I was too lazy to get up from the chair and grab Seche Vite), and I was ready.
No polish bottle pic today, but let's see if someone else from our polish troops has had a better photo day :)
Lindsey of Neverland Nail Blog
Ashley of Follow The Yellow Polish Road
Stephanie of A Little Polish
Kelly of Devilish Polish
Jodi of Captivating Claws
Danielle of Polish. Glitter. Rock & Roll!
Elly of Polishable
Olivia of Unprofessional Nails
Kate of This Charming Kate
Bethany of  A Plethora of Nails
Lizzy of The Do It Yourself Lady
Johanna of Neues vom Kellerkind 

Amanda of Nox Nails 
Ashley of Smashley Sparkles
Sarah of See Sarah Swatch 
Emily of The Lacquerologist 
Jess of LuvMyLacquer
Tressa of O' Natur Nail 
ChiChi of I'm just me...ChiChi 
Amanda of Berry Polished 
Robin, Erin, and Anna of Polished Cousins





15 comments:

  1. The base colour is beautiful, love the design :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your design! Just perfect for a b/w movie somehow <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kayono and Yuzuki! It's got the black&white feeling for me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably one of my favourite movies ever :) SUCH a good mani! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! It's Marilyn at her best, really! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is so awesome. Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used a polish with the same name as your movie inspiration! And your freehand music notes turned out so well, really great job :)
    ~Amanda of berrypolished.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments! :) The notes weren't really that difficult to paint, the film strips caused a lot more agony..

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I adore this movie. Love your interpretation, especially the little film strips. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! <3 I'm definitely going to use that film strip idea for a french (maybe diagonal) mani, too.

      Delete
  8. this is very cool!!!! you did such a great job!!! gonna have to see this now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you've gotta see the film if you still haven't. Prepare to laugh until your eyes water - and adore the costumes! :)

      Delete
  9. Really, really cool! I especially love the piano keys on the accent nail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! <3 You can see in some pics, how the curve of my nail bended the straight line of the keys, but I still liked them :)

      Delete